The Walgreens near my office finally put out candy canes, but they were only selling 24 packs.
My inner monologue went something like this: “Sara, you live alone. You cannot consume 24 candy canes. But you could bake with them. How many would that use? Also, do candy canes go bad? No, this is crazy. Yes, I will buy them.”
So once I had the candy canes, it was only logical that I use them…and oh, what a delicious way to use them.
Dark chocolate candy cane cookies
2 cups flour
3/4 cups Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
12-15 drops peppermint extract
1 tablespoon water
8-10 candy canes
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a stand mixer, combine butter, sugars, and cocoa powder. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
3) In separate bowl, combine flour and baking soda, then mix in to the butter mixture.
4) Mix in chocolate chips, then roll into balls. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
5) While cookies cool, mix together the glaze – stir until completely integrated. In a food processor, chop the candy canes until they are in very small, almost powdery, pieces.
6) Drizzle glaze over the cookies, sprinkle with candy cane bits, and enjoy!