When I first moved to DC, rice krispie treats were my go-to baked good. Easy, cheap, and more importantly super-portable, I was pretty sure they were the perfect food.
As I’ve spent more and more time baking, I’ve realized that while regular rice krispie treats aren’t half bad, it’s the add-ons that make them truly special. In that spirit, I decided last night to make nutella rice krispie treats with mini chocolate chips, salted whiskey caramel chunks, chocolate drizzle, and of course sprinkles.
Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
5 tablespoons butter (salted)
1 bag marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies
2 large spoonfuls Nutella
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup salted whiskey caramels (recipe)
1) Butter a 9×13 inch pan (Use real butter, PAM won’t cut it here).
2) In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, stirring regularly.
3) Add the bag of marshmallows to the melted butter, and stir until melted completely.
4) Remove pan from heat, and add two large spoonfuls of Nutella.
5) Stir in rice krispies.
6) Transfer the mixture to the 9×13 pan, and press down evenly. Wax paper works well for pressing down the rice krispie treats, or you can butter your hands and press down manually.
7) Add caramel chunks and mini chocolate chips, and press gently in to the rice krispie treats.
8) Melt chocolate chips, either stovetop or in the microwave, and drizzle chocolate over the top of the rice krispie treats.
9) Stick the entire tray of treats in the freezer for 10-15 minutes – this will help them solidify and making cutting them less messy.