Though I may be a picky eater, I’ve never met a strawberry I didn’t like. So when I had to whip up a quick dessert for an impromptu dinner party tonight, it only seemed right to make strawberry shortcake with some berries I’d gotten earlier this week.
Warning: These disappeared really quickly, so make more than you think you need.
1 pound strawberries, washed with greens/tops cut off
1/2 cup sugar
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
For the biscuits:
3 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
12 tablespoons (1.5 sticks) cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
First, make the biscuits.
1) Preheat the oven to 425.
2) In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Using a pastry cutter, incorporate the butter until it is in pea-size pieces.
3) In a separate container (I just used a pyrex measuring cup), mix together heavy cream and vanilla, then slowly add to the dry ingredients. If this isn’t enough liquid, you can add heavy cream gradually until you are able to incorporate all ingredients.
4) Place waxed paper or parchment paper on cookie sheet, then roll out the dough to 3/4″ and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5) Using a glass, cut out round biscuits – should create about 12. Cook for 14 minutes at 425, then let cool before eating.
Then, prepare the strawberries.
1) Wash strawberries, then cut off tops and greens.
2) Slice thinly and mix with 1/2 cup of sugar. Let sit for 20 minutes, then stir/mash gently.
Next, make whipped cream.
1) In a stand mixer, combine powdered sugar and heavy cream, and blend on high until whipped cream consistency. Add vanilla, mix, and transfer to another bowl.
Finally, assemble your dessert and enjoy!